There are many medicinal plants that can be grown at home in Bangalore. These plants provide many health benefits such as treating colds, flu, allergies, asthma, arthritis, skin conditions, digestive problems, and more.
Here are some of the 9 most powerful medicinal plants you can grow at home in Bangalore:
Botanical Name: Zingiber officinale
Ginger is one of nature’s most delicious and healthy spices. It not only tastes good but also has lots of vitamins and minerals that are good for your brain and body.
Ginger is a herbaceous perennial. In subtropical and tropical regions of the world, ginger can be grown year-round on the ground and in containers.
Some of its uses include :
- Treat morning sickness and nausea.
- Treat chronic indigestion.
- Treats arthritis and hypertension.
Botanical Name: Curcuma longa
Turmeric is a perennial, rhizomatous plant native to India, Southeast Asia, and South Asia. It is a very common spice and an important spice in Asian cuisine. The rhizomes are famously used in cooking as it imparts a lot of flavor to food. The fresh rhizomes are sundried, ground into turmeric powder, and stored in an airtight container.
Some of its benefits include :
- It possesses potent antioxidant activity.
- Decreases inflammatory conditions by improving blood circulation.
- It enhances the immune response.
Botanical Name: Azadirachta indica
Neem is a tall, evergreen plant. It is an evergreen plant, but it may shed all its leaves in extreme drought conditions. It has many medicinal properties, and it can also be used as an insecticide to eliminate insects from your indoors.
Some uses of neem are:
- Increases immunity
- Treats acne
- Useful in detoxification
4. Aloe vera
Botanical Name: Aloe barbadensis
Aloe vera is an evergreen succulent. It can be grown indoors as well as outdoors successfully. Aloe vera is used in products like beverages, lotions, and ointments, to name a few.
Aloe vera is a popular medicinal plant used for thousands of years in Greece, Egypt, India, Mexico, Japan, and China. In addition, Aloe vera is a natural product now frequently used in cosmetology. The Aloe vera plant has been known and used for centuries for its health, beauty, medicinal, and skin care properties.
Some uses of Aloe vera:
- It nourishes the skin and promotes healthy hair growth
- Aloe Vera is very good for digestion and can also be used to reduce constipation
- It is also used for reducing inflammation and pain
Botanical name: Ocimum tenuiflorum
Tulsi is one of the most revered plants in India. It is a tonic for the entire body. Several benefits can be acquired just by chewing a few tulsi leaves every morning. There are multiple applications of this traditional medicine all over India.
Here are a few uses of tulsi:
- It has germicidal, fungicidal and anti-bacterial properties
- It can soothe the nerves, regulate the circulation of blood
- Tulsi is an excellent diuretic and detoxifying agent.
Botanical Name: Mentha piperita
Peppermint is a cross between watermint and spearmint. They are common flavoring herbs for ice creams, soft drinks, and many other products. They are among the oldest herbs used for both culinary and medicinal products.
Here are a few uses of Peppermint:
- Peppermint may freshen your breath and improves oral health
- Helps improve concentration.
- Peppermint is used to relieve congestion and ease headaches.
7. Curry Tree
Botanical Name: Murraya koenigii
Curry leaves are used in cooking and Ayurveda medicine. Its leaves, known as curry leaves, are used in many dishes in the Indian subcontinent. Curry leaves like abundant sunlight and will grow well in a bigger container.
Some uses of Curry leaves are:
- They are used to treat diabetes
- Used to relieve symptoms of cold
- It is beneficial for hair growth and eyesight
Botanical name: Tinospora cordifolia
Amruthaballi is a herbaceous perennial with a spreading and climbing habit. It is native to the Indian subcontinent. They have many medicinal uses and are used in Ayurveda to treat many diseases.
Some uses of Amruthaballi are:
- It helps boosts immunity and is well-known for treating respiratory problems.
- It relieves stress and anxiety and improves digestion.
- It is also known to treat arthritis.
9. Long Pepper
Botanical name: Piper longum
Long pepper is a vine that is grown for the dried ripe fruits which are used as a spice. It has many medicinal properties. It is a popular and vital ingredient in many ayurvedic medicinal preparations.
Some uses of Long Pepper are:
- It is used to treat cold symptoms and digestion-related ailments.
- It can prevent all types of diabetes.
- It reduces stress and is thus used to treat insomnia.
Dr. Vandana K.