Cissus quadrangularis is a plant that belongs to the family of Vitaceae. It is native to India and Sri Lanka. Cissus quadrangularis is an herb that grows in tropical regions of Asia. It is known to be beneficial for the treatment of hemorrhoids.
The name comes from its four-angled leaves. It is commonly referred to as the “veld” grape and Hadjod. It has been used traditionally in Ayurveda medicine to treat various ailments such as fever, cough, asthma, bronchitis, bone health, and cold.
This herb has long been used to treat many different ailments including hemorrhoids, diabetes, arthritis, hypertension, insomnia, ulcers, and even cancer.
The easiest way to make Veld grape leaves chutney is to use fresh leaves from the plant. To prepare them for cooking, wash the leaves well and then cut off the stems. Next, chop the leaves into small pieces and add them to a pan along with some water. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until the liquid has reduced. Add salt to taste. Serve hot.
Medicinal Benefits of Cissus quadrangularis
- In Ayurvedic medicine, it is used to treat hemorrhoids and piles.
- It is also believed to help improve digestion and reduce inflammation.
- Cissus quadrangularis has been used for centuries to treat various ailments such as fever, coughs, colds, asthma, diarrhea, dysentery, indigestion, and rheumatism.
- The leaves are also used to cure wounds and burns.
- This plant is often used to treat various health problems including constipation, ulcers, and other digestive issues.
- In traditional Chinese Medicine, Cissus quadrangularis is used to treat chronic fatigue syndrome, insomnia, and depression.
- In Ayurvedic medicine, Cissus quadrangularis is used to treat various diseases such as arthritis, diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease.
- it has been used to treat bone fractures, bone growth, and bone tissue growth. The oil is used as a bone setter for broken bones.
- Cissus quadrangularis oil is used for treating skin diseases such as eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, acne, etc.
- The plant contains several compounds like glycosides, flavonoids, tannins, saponins, steroids, triterpenes, fatty acids, alkaloids, phenolic compounds, and volatile oils. These components help in healing wounds, burns, cuts, bruises, insect bites, and other skin conditions.
Cissus quadrangularis Side Effects
There are no reported side effects associated with using veld grape.
However, some people may experience allergic reactions when consuming this plant. If you do experience any adverse effects, discontinue use immediately and contact your physician.
Cissus is not recommended during pregnancy or lactation due to a lack of safety data. However, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, consult your doctor before taking this herb.
Cissus quadrangularis pharmacology
Cissus quadrangularis has been used for centuries to treat various ailments such as depression, anxiety, insomnia, and stress. The active ingredient in Cissus is called quercetin which helps reduce inflammation and fight free radicals. Quercetin also improves memory and concentration and reduces pain.
It is thought that the main active ingredient in Cissus quadrangularis helps to relax muscles and increase circulation. This makes it useful for treating hemorrhoids.
Cissus quadrangularis is used for treating fever, headache, and stomachache. The plant contains alkaloids such as quinine and quinidine. These compounds help reduce pain and inflammation.
The plant also contains saponins, glycosides, tannins, flavonoids, and anthraquinones. Saponins help remove toxins from the body while glycosides help regulate the immune system. Tannins help prevent bleeding and protect against cancer. Flavonoids have antioxidant properties and help maintain healthy skin and eyes. Anthraquinones help fight bacteria and viruses.
Cissus quadrangularis oil has been used since ancient times to treat fractures, sprains, arthritis, rheumatism, muscle pain, bruises, and other injuries. The active ingredient in Cissus quadrangularis oil is called Cissus polygonalis which contains saponins, glycosides, tannins, flavones, and terpenes. This herb also helps to strengthen bones and joints.
Dr. Vandana K.
Order your Veld grape plant here