Tulsi is one of the most revered plants in Hinduism. It is extensively used in rituals and one of the reasons for this is because it has high medicinal value, being known at the “Queen of Herbs”. In fact, it is a tonic for the entire body. There are several benefits that can be acquired, just by chewing a few leaves of tulsi every morning. There are multiple applications of this traditional medicine all over India. Here are a few:
- Antibiotic: It has germicidal, fungicidal and anti-bacterial properties. It is known to cure fevers, from a simple viral fever to malarial fever as well. In Ayurvedic medicine, people suffering from fever are given a decoction of tulsi leaves.
- Antioxidants: Tulsi has several essential oils that can produce eugenol, methyl eugenol and caryophyllene. These chemicals are known to have beneficial properties for pancreatic beta cells that are responsible for the release of insulin into the body. This enhanced sensitivity to insulin helps reduce blood sugar levels and cure diabetes. The most powerful antioxidant component of Tulsi called Eugenol safeguards the heart by keeping the blood pressure under optimum levels and lowers cholesterol levels. Eating a few Tulsi leaves in the empty stomach everyday can help prevent a range of heart ailments and also cure if there are any already.
- Stress: Tulsi is known to maintain the levels of cortisol, the main stress hormone in the body which is also a strong anti-stress agent. It can pacify the nerves, regulate the circulation of blood and can fight the bad radicals out thereby alleviating stress. Chewing Tulsi leaves regularly can help beat stress the effective and easy way.
- Detox: Tulsi is a wonderful diuretic and detoxifying agent. It can reduce the levels of uric acid in the blood stream. Uric acid is the principal reason behind the formation of kidney stones. Tulsi cleans the kidneys and its various components help break down the already formed kidney stones in a way relieving the patient of the pain due to kidney stones. Regular intake of Tulsi with honey can wash out kidney stones in about six months.
- Anti-cancer: By virtue of its powerful antioxidant properties combined with great amount of anti-carcinogenic properties, Tulsi can help prevent the spread of breast cancer and also oral cancer. It can give good remedy for cancer due to tobacco addiction. Tulsi can restrict the supply of blood to the tumour by working on the blood vessels and thereby preventing the growth of tumour.
Almost every household in India has a tulsi plant in their garden or on their window ledge. I’m sure this list of uses will probably make you respect the plant a whole lot more now.
Get your very own Tulsi plant from our online plant store,here